Working for You
Each month we provide some key areas where MGGA leaders and staff have been working on your behalf. Here is a sampling of important issues and activities for July 2019:
- Lyle Benjamin and Vince Mattson, MGGA’s Directors to the National Association of Wheat Growers, participated in multiple committee and board conference calls to discuss budget adjustments necessitated by the departure of North Dakota from NAWG membership.
- MGGA staff attended the Miller-Coors Grower Appreciation Day in Power where Pete Coors addressed the crowd, top growers were acknowledged, and the Power facility was recognized as an OSHA Star Worksite, one of only 2 elevators in MT to have earned the status. It was noted the other MT facility is also a Miller-Coors site.
- MGGA staff took part in the MaltEurop field day in Great Falls, taking the opportunity to visit with both growers and with malt customers from across the US.
- MGGA assisted with a Future of Ag tour held in the Great Falls area. Key organizers were the Great Falls Chamber of Commerce, StarRadio ag director Jim Sargent and Cargill Great Falls. MGGA Treasurer Mitch Konen provided local insight as host on one of the two busses along with Northern Pulse Growers staff Brian Gion. At the Cargill facility, MGGA Director Nathan Keane shared his experiences growing industrial hemp and hemp for CBD oil with participants.
- Visiting the MGGA office in July were Montana FFA staffers Executive Director Gwynn Simeniuk and Events Coordinator Mikayla Comes and current State Officers Emily Evans – Secretary from Fairfield and Anna Slivka – Reporter from Winifred.
- Harvest has begun in certain locations, and we’re thankful to members who have been keeping us updated on crop progress and conditions. Visit montanamarketmanager.org/weather/cropsurvey to read grower comments submitted to our weekly crop condition survey.
Have a safe harvest everyone!