Working for You
Each month we provide some key areas where MGGA leaders and staff have been working on your behalf. Here is a sampling of important issues and activities for November 2018:
- MGGA officers and staff travelled to Tampa, FL, for joint fall board meetings of the National Association of Wheat Growers and US Wheat Associates. MGGA President Michelle Erickson-Jones and Vice President Lyle Benjamin represented MGGA on the NAWG Board of Directors; Jones as Vice Chairman of the Domestic and Trade Policy and member of the Operations and Planning Committees and Benjamin on the Environment and Renewable Resources Committee.
- MGGA participated in MSU Celebrate Ag activities in Bozeman. Events featured the MSU Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics’ annual Outlook Seminar, “Agriculture and Political Uncertainty”, a public Harvest Ball, and the Harvest Breakfast where Ron Ueland was honored posthumously as this year’s MSU Outstanding Ag Leader.
- MGGA Secretary Mitch Konen participated in the Wheat Industry Leaders of Tomorrow (WILOT) program in Saint Louis, MO. The program is sponsored by Monsanto and trains grower leaders in personal development and effective communications.
- Vice President Lyle Benjamin spoke on the topic ‘Why I Farm and Hunt’ at a Precision Agriculture for Conservation Workshop in Great Falls hosted by Pheasants Forever.
- MGGA officers took part in the annual budget meeting of the Montana Wheat & Barley Committee held in Great Falls.
- A successful 63rd annual MGGA Convention and Trade Show was enjoyed by almost 900 producers, agribusiness representatives and guests. Thank you to everyone who was able to join us!
- Raffle winners announced at the President’s Banquet at the close of convention were:
$5,000 cash – Joza Kralich
$3,000 cash – Tyce Bahnmiller
$1,500 cash – Gordon Stoner
DJI Mavic Air Drone – Bart Erickson
STHIL BR 700 Blower – Damon Lalum
- Jerry Philipps of Contrad was the winner of this year’s early bird drawing for a free convention registration.