Working for You
Working for You
Each month we provide some key areas where MGGA leaders and staff have been working on your behalf. Here is a sampling of important issues and activities for October 2019:
- Executive Vice President Lola Raska participated in a conference call with NAWG staff and Bill Beam, USDA Farm Service Agency Deputy Administrator for Farm Programs, to discuss program options for Northeast Montana growers negatively affected by this year’s adverse harvest weather.
- MGGA sponsored the Young Ag Leadership Conference held this year in early October in Butte. Grant Briggs, Great Falls, represents MGGA on the planning committee for each year’s conference.
- The current MGGA officers and several past presidents participated in a webinar organized by the National Association of Wheat Growers seeking input on the future of NAWG and its priorities. The webinar to gather input from states was part of the planning process in preparation for a NAWG strategic planning session to be held in Denver in December.
- MGGA Treasurer Mitch Konen, Past President Michelle Jones and Executive Vice President Lola Raska attended the fall board meeting of the Montana Wheat & Barley Committee in Great Falls.
- The MGGA Executive Board met in Great Falls to review the organization’s budget and discuss operations and policy items.
- The MGGA Board of Directors met in Great Falls for their annual fall board meeting where resolutions were reviewed, changes were proposed and the organization’s FY20 budget was approved.
- A new membership development committee established by the MGGA Board of Directors met in Great Falls.
- MGGA President Lyle Benjamin and Vice President Vince talked about how their farm and Montana agriculture in general has responded to climate variability as part of a panel presentation at an October Burton K. Wheeler Center Conference titled “Ensuring the Strength of Montana’s Agricultural Economy”.